No products in the cart.
Every year, volunteers step forward to serve as board members for the La Ballona PTA. No experience in board membership is necessary, and any dues-paying member can serve on the board.
Below is some general information about the various board positions that are available every year. Please note that each role can be shared by two people, and co-chairs are strongly encouraged! As the saying goes, many hands make light work. The more people get involved, the less work there is for each person!
If you have questions about any of these positions, please feel free to send a message to the PTA.
- Leads the PTA towards specific goals chosen by the members; works closely with principal; attends PTA council meetings; sets agendas; helps oversee events; troubleshoots in areas of PTA involvement.
- Executive Vice President
- Partners with President and presides in her/his absence; helps oversee events; partners with Communications in organizing and overseeing volunteers.
- Recording Secretary
- Prepares minutes of all meetings, maintains and preserves PTA records.
- Corresponding Secretary
- Sends PTA correspondence (thank you notes and tax acknowledgement letters).
- Financial Secretary
- Receives all cash and other income and makes bank deposits; works with treasurer.
- Keeps financial books in order, writes all checks for bill payment; chairs the budget committee; remits PTA membership dues and other fees to the PTA council; makes a monthly financial report; works closely with the President and other event chairs; prepares books for semi-annual audit.
- Audits the books twice a year and presents the audit to the general assembly.
- Parliamentarian ‘
- Updates bylaws and is familiar with PTA guidelines; assists with nomination committee.
- Keeps track of volunteer hours, takes pictures and keeps a record of PTA events.
- Leads membership drive, maintains records of members; distributes membership cards
- Coordinates all major school fundraisers; researches fundraiser ideas; helps with Family Nights; work with Communications and executive VP to recruit volunteers at and for fundraisers.
- Schedules assemblies, makes sure someone is there to receive speakers on assembly date
- Recruits and emails room parents, biweekly leader and social media leader with upcoming events; helps room parents, EVP and fundraising committee to recruit volunteers.
- Equal Access
- Works closely with the district to advocate for students with special needs.
- Field Trips
- Oversees field trips requested by teachers.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Works closely with the district to promote and celebrate diversity of all kinds. Also help educate on topics of diversity.
Nominations for board membership typically open in the winter/spring for the following school year. If you are interested in learning more about any of these positions, please drop us a line!